According to investment firm Goldman Sachs, the virtual reality market is one of the fastest growing. What is it – another fashion hype or technology that changes the world?
This article will talk about how virtual reality works and what opportunities VR Education holds.
Just 2-3 years ago, for most people, virtual and augmented reality seemed like just a sci-fi concept. And so they not only enter such branches of everyday life as medicine, urban planning, cinema, art, education, but also begin to influence them.
What is virtual reality and how does it work
Virtual reality is an interactive three-dimensional artificial world created using computer technology. Immersion in this world gives the user the illusion of the reality of what is happening. VR is capable of influencing all five human senses, responding to his movements and actions.
So, a special helmet creates a three-dimensional image that reacts to the movements of the user’s head and even his eyes separately. Virtual reality rooms and special displays use stereoscopic vision and immerse a person inside a three-dimensional object, which also changes depending on the position of the body and the movement of the user’s eyes.
A virtual reality suit or separate gloves are made of a plastic exoskeleton and equipped with soft muscles. These devices also track the position of the user and are able to transmit tactile sensations to him.
Where are vr technologies used
It all started with the interactive video game industry. Various kinds of simulators stand out in a separate class: riding a motorcycle, car, piloting an airplane, etc.
Today, virtual reality has become widespread and is used in various fields. Manufacturers use technology to promote their products and services. Constructors and designers got the opportunity to use three-dimensional images of their projects. Visual models of geoinformation data will be useful in the development of mineral deposits.
An extensive scope of VR is staff training and education in a broad sense.
What can you learn in virtual reality
Virtual training and retraining of railway workers, aircraft pilots, training of athletes and police officers, the introduction of simulators for teaching medical specialties have made the formation of specific skills easier, more accessible and safer.
The flagship of VR in the educational field was the Anatomuoy application, which allows schoolchildren and students to immerse themselves in the study of human anatomy. Successful experience inspired developers to create a variety of educational applications, and today, with the help of advanced technologies, you can go to explore outer space, immerse yourself in the world of atoms, take part in complex chemical experiments, and observe historical events with your own eyes.
Benefits of vr in education
VR opens up many new opportunities in education. The main advantages include:
- High degree of visibility. Vr allows not only to demonstrate to the user any phenomenon with a high degree of detail, but also to involve the student in interaction with the model.
- Safety. The acquisition of complex skills and the assimilation of algorithms of behavior in emergency situations occurs without the slightest threat to life and health.
- User engagement. Game technologies in teaching allow maintaining genuine and sustainable interest among students.
- Focusing. In a world modeled to solve specific problems, there are no external stimuli. Nothing can distract the student – he will be completely focused on learning.
- Profitability. Even the considerable cost of equipment and educational content cannot be compared with the cost, installation and maintenance of bulky real layouts.
vr formats in education
The variety of VR educational opportunities is amazing. But at the same time, its use dictates the need to restructure the educational process.
With this form, the classic lesson format remains unchanged, but is complemented by a 5-7-minute immersion in VR. The lecture, as before, creates the structure of the lesson, and the practice in virtual reality will help maintain the interest of students and fill them with empirical experience.
This form gives students and teachers the opportunity to interact with each other, being anywhere in the world. At the same time, unlike webinars, the feeling of presence is preserved: the student can listen to a lecture, perform individual and collective tasks, interact with other participants in the educational process, and the teacher retains control functions.
VR allows you to connect to traditional work in the classroom students who do not have the opportunity to attend an educational organization in person.
Any educational course can be adapted for self-study. Users of technological equipment get the opportunity to purchase content in specialized stores and immerse themselves in the educational environment with a virtual teacher.
- Labster is an interactive project that allows you to conduct scientific experiments in equipped laboratories.
- MEL Chemistry VR is a fun structured collection of interactive chemistry lessons.
- Expedition Pioneer Program is a program that allows you to make virtual excursions to the most exotic and incredible corners of our planet.
- Virtual Reality Medical Training Simulation is a medical simulator that involves students in making decisions that will affect the “life” of a virtual patient.
- Tilt Brush allows you to draw in a simulated 3D space.
Virtual and augmented reality technologies are not only an effective, but also a fun way to spice up the education process. We hope the article was useful for you, and you learned something new for yourself. If so, then share it with your friends on social networks. See you soon!